Poems in your face! LIVE POETS in the 459 Bar at the Rosemount Hotel. It could be you.
And guess what? Winner gets the door takings! $10/$5 Entry at the door. Cash only.
Come on down! Get some poetry inside your faces! Do a poem! Win the Money! Judge Poets! Clap hands! Click yo fingers and enjoy the intensity, the diversity, the scintillating density of Perth’s most interesting spoken wordsmiths.
If you are a first timer, we welcome you! A lot!
For two hours each month we give you the opportunity to compete with up to 15 other poets to win the cash prize. And the audience is the judge
Will you be the a Perth Slam Winner? Do you know someone who is the bestest poet in the world? Tag em!
Perth Slam is this city’s only monthly poetry slam. Come along and sign up to slam your poem or just witness the linguistic fitness of a live poetry slam!
You may get to be a judge! We give out tickets at the door for your chance to be a judge! That’s right a JUDGE of POETRY!
Poetry slammers get TWO MINUTES on the mic to impress the five randomly-chosen judges. The highest overall score wins the door takings. It’s all about short sharp bursts of performance poetry into your face – guaranteed!
Our website: http://www.perthslam.com
Doors open from 430pm
Four5Nine – Rosemount Hotel
Entry: $10 or $5 Concession. CASH ONLY. But there is an ATM in the venue.
Sign up to SLAM @ 4:30pm
Slam event starts at 5pm.
16 slam spots are available each month.
Please read our rules: http://www.perthslam.com/rules
Hosted by Allan Boyd (aka the Antipoet) and Jakob Boyd with special operations and hardcore logistical administrative and tactical calculator support from the always delightful Tonja (she is a scientist – not a poet).
WHAT IS A POETRY SLAM?
Poetry slam is a competitive performance arts event, in which poets perform spoken word poetry before a live audience and a panel of randomly chosen judges
Slam contestants are given a microphone, a live audience and just two minutes to impress the judges with their ORIGINAL spoken word poetry.
No Props. No Costumes. Just pure words! You CAN read from your phone, tablet or paper, notebook etc.
Five random judges are picked: we pull raffle tickets given at the door from the slam hat! Once judges are chosen (and after our “sacrificial” poet tests the judges skills), we draw each poet’s name from the hat and the competition begins.
After each 2 minute performance, judges hold up score cards using a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the highest.
Of the five scores for each poet, only the middle three scores are counted – we remove the “haters” and the “lovers” score! And at the end of the night, the poet with the most points takes a big cut of the door!
Our Perth Slam rules are based on the Australian Poetry Slam rules.
PERTH SLAM RULES
• Sign up at the venue 30 minutes before the slam
• Maximum of 16 entrants per Slam
• No Signups after the slam starts
• No musical accompaniment. No props. No costumes
• Reading from the page or device IS permitted
• Random draw for performance order
• Poem must be the original work of the performer
• 2 minute time limit. Time starts at your 1st word or when the timekeeper feels the performance has begun. 1 point for every 30 seconds over time is deducted by the timekeeper from your final score
• 5 judges chosen at random from the audience
• Pooling of judges tickets is not permitted
• Judges hold up score cards, marking each performer from 0.01 – 9.99. From the 5 scores, only the 3 middle scores are counted
• In the event of a tie, the 2 highest-scoring performers share the prize
• Winner is rewarded with the door takings (minus admin costs)
• Slam winner cannot compete in the following month – but is invited to be our FEATURED Sacrificial Poet!
• Organisers of Perth Slam reserve the right to change any of these rules at any time!
More details at our website: http://www.perthslam.com/
CONTACT:Allan Boyd – Perth Slam Organiser
Phone: 0402 573 580
When: Saturday, 26 June 2021 4:30 PM
Venue: Four5Nine Bar (North Perth, WA)
Availability Price & Buy Online